• The People Clerk Team

Collecting a Small Claims Court Judgment in California

You won your California small claims court case, now, how can you collect the judgment in a California small claims court? If the Judgment Debtor (the person who lost the case) does not pay you, you can take their wages, cars, property, rental income, etc. You have 10 years to collect the judgment (and can renew that time period for another 10 years). Read on to learn how to collect on your small claims court lawsuit.

In this article, learn about:

  • Small Claims Court Terminology (Judgment Creditor, Judgment Debtor).

  • Judgment Collection Process

  • Steps to follow if the Judgment Debtor fails to pay.

Ready for People Clerk to be your small claims assistant?

or click here to get started.


  • The person who wins the lawsuit and is owed money becomes the Judgment Creditor.

  • The person who loses the lawsuit and owes money becomes the Judgment Debtor.

Wait 30 days from Entry of Judgment

Why? During those 30 days after the entry of judgment, the Judgment Debtor may:

What If the Judgment Debtor pays you?

What to do If the Judgment Debtor fails to pay

If the Judgment Debtor did not take any of the steps above within 30 days of the entry of judgment, now what?

Step 1: Ask the Judgment Debtor to Pay You.

You want to start by simply asking the Judgment Debtor to pay you. Write a letter to the Judgment Debtor requesting payment after 30 days of the entry of Judgment. You ideally want to do this in the form of a letter so that you can keep it for your records. In the letter, you should:

  • include the amount of the court's judgment;

  • include where the Judgment Debtor should send you payment (ideally using a check just in case you need to trace this information later);

  • remind the Judgment Debtor that if they don't pay you, their wages, money, and property may be taken away to pay the claim;

  • remind the Judgment Debtor that interest can be charged for every day they delay paying you;

  • include a deadline for payment and if they don't meet that deadline you will take further action to collect on the judgment;

  • offer a payment plan if you feel that it would be easier for them to pay you that way;

  • remind the Judgment Debtor that if they don't want to pay you directly, they can pay the court (and you would later collect from the court).

You will find that most collections disputes will be sorted out by simply requesting the Judgment Debtor to pay.

Step 2: Figure out what assets the Judgment Debtor has.

If the letter requesting payment of the judgment does not work, now what? You need to figure out what assets the Judgment Debtor has. If you already know this, skip to Step 3.

Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets

First off, within 30 days of mailing entry of judgment (or if the court handed it to the Judgment Debtor in the courtroom, the count 30 days from that day), the Judgment Debtor was supposed to send you a form called Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets (Form SC-133). This form outlines the Judgment Debtor's assets that can be used for collection.

However, very often, Judgment Debtors fail to send the Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets (Form SC-133). If the Judgment Debtor does not send you that form, you can request that they pay you attorney fees and other penalties for failing to return that form.

Next, if the Judgment Debtor does not send you Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets, you will need to file an Application and Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination (Form SC-134). This form will require the Judgment Debtor to return to court and provide Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets. If Judgment Debtor does not show up a warrant may be issued for their arrest.

  • Fill out Application and Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination (Form SC-134). You fill out the top part of the form (Plaintiff name, address, and telephone number and Defendant name address and telephone number, if all the information doesn't fit attach another sheet of paper with the missing information), leave the section in the middle titled "Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination" blank (this is what the court will fill out), and fill out the bottom section titled "Application for this Order" (under "A" include your name as the Judgment Creditor and the Judgment Debtor's name).

  • Attend the Examination hearing. Be prepared to ask the Judgment Debtor about assets they have that you can collect from (where they work, do they own a property + how much is the value of the property).

Note: It is highly suggested you fill out, file, and serve and Small Claims Subpoena for Personal Appearance and Production of Documents at Trial or Hearing and Declaration (Form SC-107) which, if granted, will order the Judgment Debtor to bring documents to the hearing such as bank statements.

Step 3: Seize the Judgment Debtor's Assets.

Once you know which assets the Judgment Debtor has, you can work on seizing the assets. Stay posted for an article on this topic!


How long does a judgment debtor have to pay a California small claims court judgment?

  • In California small claims court, if the party who lost the case (“Judgment Debtor”) does not pay within 30 days from when the judgment was mailed to the parties (sometimes it gets handed directly to parties during the hearing), then the collection process begins. Once the collection process begins, additional costs are incurred by the Judgment Creditor which can be added to the judgment. Ideally, a Judgment Debtor should pay before the collections process begins.

Let People Clerk help you with your small claims lawsuit.

or click here to get started.

Check out our other articles:

How to File Your California Small Claims Court Case

Quick List of Forms for California Small Claims Court

How to Write a Demand Letter

California Small Claims Court Filing Fees

Los Angeles Small Claims Court

Small Claims Courts by County:

San Francisco Small Claims

Los Angeles Small Claims

Monterey Small Claims

Mercedes County Small Claims

Riverside Small Claims

Orange County Small Claims

We have your back

with California Small Claims Disputes.


  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Courtam, Inc dba People Clerk is not an attorney or a law firm, therefore, People Clerk does not provide legal advice. People Clerk uses technology to reduce the costs of pursuing a small claims dispute. People Clerk can only provide self-help services at your direction. 

People Clerk is not affiliated or endorsed by the California Judicial Branch or any government agency. Blank small claims court forms are available for free on the California Courts website


People Clerk does not sell your information to third parties. 

People Clerk is registered in San Mateo County, California as a bonded legal document assistant (2020-1). We can be reached at (650) 385-8507.

© 2020 by Courtam, Inc.