• The People Clerk Team

How to Identify in Which Small Claims Court You Can Sue

Are you wondering where can you process a Small Claims Lawsuit in California? Maybe you are not sure which Courts conduct Small claims hearings in California. Here you will find out how to Identify in which small claims court you can sue in your California County.

Ready for People Clerk to be your small claims assistant?

or click here to get started.

You can sue the defendant in any California county where: 

  • Where the defendant lives or does business.

  • Where your property was damaged.

  • Where you were injured.

  • Where the accident happened.

  • Where the contract (written or spoken) was made, signed, performed, or broken by the defendant.

  • Where the defendant did business when the defendant made the contract.

What types of small claims cases can be filed?

As long as there isn't another court better suited to file the lawsuit, then the lawsuit can be filed in small claims. The most common types of small claims lawsuits in California County Small Claims Court are:

  • Landlord/Tenant disputes over the security deposit.

  • Landlord/Tenant disputes over unpaid rent.

  • Roommate disputes.

  • Disputes over loans.

  • Contracts (written and verbal).

  • Auto accidents.

  • Disputes over auto repairs.

  • Disputes over remodeling or home repairs (disputes with contractors).

  • Damage caused to property.

  • Unpaid bills.

Why does this matter?

Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (SC-100) question #5 asks "Why are you filing your claim at this courthouse?". It asks this to make sure that you have filed the case in a court that has the ability to decide the case. This is known as "jurisdiction." If a court does not have jurisdiction, then the case will be dismissed (closed) and you will have to start over and file in a court that has jurisdiction.

Ready for People Clerk to be your small claims assistant?

or click here to get started.

Check out our other articles:

How to File Your California Small Claims Court Case

Quick List of Forms for California Small Claims Court

How to Write a Demand Letter

California Small Claims Court Filing Fees

Los Angeles Small Claims Court

Small Claims Courts by County:

San Francisco Small Claims

Los Angeles Small Claims

Monterey Small Claims

Mercedes County Small Claims

Riverside Small Claims

Orange County Small Claims

We have your back

with California Small Claims Disputes.


  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Courtam, Inc dba People Clerk is not an attorney or a law firm, therefore, People Clerk does not provide legal advice. People Clerk uses technology to reduce the costs of pursuing a small claims dispute. People Clerk can only provide self-help services at your direction. 

People Clerk is not affiliated or endorsed by the California Judicial Branch or any government agency. Blank small claims court forms are available for free on the California Courts website


People Clerk does not sell your information to third parties. 

People Clerk is registered in San Mateo County, California as a bonded legal document assistant (2020-1). We can be reached at (650) 385-8507.

© 2020 by Courtam, Inc.