• The People Clerk Team

Santa Clara Small Claims Court

Updated: Aug 26

Want to file a Small Claims Court Case in Santa Clara County? Have a Small Claims Court Case in Santa Clara County? We have summarized the relevant information you need to know for when you go to the Santa Clara Small Claims Court.

Let us help you with your small claims court lawsuit.

Address to the Santa Clara Small Claims Court

While there are many courthouses in Santa Clara County, the only one that conducts small claims court hearings is the Downtown Superior Court located at:

Downtown Superior Court

191 North 1st Street

San Jose, CA 95113

While there are a few courthouses in the vicinity make sure you go to the one that looks like the picture on the right. It is a brown building that barely has any windows. It is located on the corner of W St. James Street and Market Street. Additionally, the entrance of the courthouse is inside the courtyard off of W St. James Street.

How do I contact the Small Claims Court Clerk?

Need to contact the Santa Clara Small Claims Court Clerk? Here is how:


  • The Santa Clara Small Claims Court Clerk is located on the 1st floor of the Downtown Superior Court, 191 North 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95113. Once you walk past security the Small Claims Court Clerk's office is to the right of the 1st floor. We waited 30 minutes in line to speak to a court clerk.

By Phone

  • 408-882-2100

  • Press 2 then Press 7

Can I file my Small Claims Case in Santa Clara County?

You can always sue an individual Santa Clara Small Claims Court if they live in San Clara County. You can always sue a company in Santa Clara Small Claims Court if their business is located in Santa Clara County.

You may be able to sue in Santa Clara Small Claims in other situations. For example:

  • If you are suing about a car accident that occurred in Santa Clara.

  • If you are suing about a security deposit and the leased premises are located in Santa Clara.

  • If you are suing about damage to your house that occurred in Santa Clara.

  • If you have an issue with your Landlord returning the security deposit and the rented unit was in Santa Clara County then you would be able to sue your landlord in Santa Clara Small Claims Court (you would also be able to sue your landlord in the small claims court in the county where they live).

If the defendant lives in the following cities/towns then you can sue in Santa Clara Small Claims Court: Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Los Altos Hills, and Los Gatos.

What types of small claims cases can be filed?

So long as there isn't another court better suited to hear the case, then the lawsuit can be filed in small claims. The most common types of small claims cases in Santa Clara Small Claims Court are:

  • Landlord/Tenant disputes over the security deposit.

  • Landlord/Tenant disputes over early termination of the lease.

  • Unpaid rent.

  • Roommate disputes.

  • Disputes over loans.

  • Contracts (written and oral).

  • Auto accidents.

  • Disputes over auto repairs.

  • Disputes over remodeling or home repairs.

  • Damage caused to property.

  • Unpaid bills.

How long do I have to File a Small Claims case in Santa Clara County?

  • Do not wait to file your small claims court lawsuit! After an incident occurs, you only have a set period of time to file your lawsuit. Think of this as a deadline (called the statute of limitations). Once the deadline is reached, you cannot file your Santa Clara Small Claims Court lawsuit.

  • Read Common statutes of limitations for Santa Clara Small Claims Court.

How much can I sue for in Santa Clara County Small Claims?

This is also known as the "small claims court limits." In Santa Clara Small Claims:

  • An individual or sole proprietor can sue for $10,000 or less.

  • A corporation or LLC can sue for $5,000 or less.

What are the Santa Clara Small Claims Court Filing Fees?

The amount you will pay to file a small claims lawsuit in Santa Clara depends on how much you are suing for:

  • If you are suing for $1,500 or less, then your filing fee is $30.

  • If you are suing for more than $1,500 but less than or equal to $5,000, then your filing fee is $50.

  • If you are suing for more than $5,000 but less than or equal to $10,000, then your filing fee is $75.

What are other costs for Small Claims Court?

In most small claims cases, you can expect to pay:

If you win your case, you can request that the losing party pay for "reasonable costs."

Santa Clara Small Claims Court Hearings

When will the Small Claims Hearing be?

  • Once a case is filed in Santa Clara Small Claims Court, the hearing will be scheduled within 20- 70 days.

  • You must serve the small claims lawsuit on the defendant at least 15 days before the hearing if the defendant lives or resides within Santa Clara County. If the defendant resides outside of Santa Clara County, you must serve them at least 20 days before the hearing.

  • Make sure to file "Proof of Service" at least 5 days before the hearing.

How to prepare for a Small Claims Court Hearing?

  • Research the law. If you are unsure about your case, consult an attorney, or conduct your own research about the law.

  • Prepare your evidence. Invoices, contracts, receipts, etc. You want to have your evidence organized with titles, dates, and why that piece of evidence is important. All your evidence should be geared towards showing the judge why you are correct.

  • Prepare what to say. During the hearing, the judge will ask the person suing why they are suing. The judge will then ask the other party for their side of the story.

  • Get your receipts for costs ready. For example, your filing fees and any process server costs. Make sure to let the judge know that you would like to be reimbursed for costs.

  • Print enough copies of all your evidence. You will need at least three copies (one for you, one for the judge, one for the other side).

What happens on the hearing date?

Give yourself plenty of time.

You do not want to be late for your hearing. Give yourself plenty of time for parking and navigating the courthouse.

Where to Park Near the Santa Clara Small Claims Court

Parking Structures

There are many parking structures right by the courthouse. One of the more convenient ones is located 1 block from the court and is called Park SJ (or San Pedro Market Parking if you search on Google Maps). Here is the address: 45 N San Pedro St, San Jose, CA 95113. It costs $1 for every 20 minutes ($3 each hour).

2 Hour Street Parking

The streets around the courthouse are lined with 2 Hour Street Parking. If you need to speak with the small claims court clerk, 2-hour parking is a good option. However, if you have a hearing scheduled that day, you should probably not park in 2-hour parking to be on the safe side.

Once You Walk into the Courthouse...

Once you walk in, the first thing you will see is airport-like security. You will need to put your belongings through the metal detector. You can bring in laptops and cellphones, unlike some courthouses.

Take the Elevator to the 5th Floor

There are two courtrooms for small claims. Courtroom No. 14 and Courtroom No. 15.

Locate Your Case on the Schedule

Outside of each courtroom, there will be a bulletin board with a print out of the cases heard that day. You want to locate your case on the schedule. Go to Courtroom No. 14 and check the bulletin board there. Can't find your case? Go to Courtroom No. 15 and check the bulletin board there. You want to make sure you are in the right courtroom! If you don't see your case listed but you have received notice that your case will be heard that day, you may want to try and speak to the sheriff or clerk in the courtroom. If you are unable to speak to them, go down to the 1st floor to the small claims court clerk.

Wait Until the Doors Are Opened

The doors will likely be locked until 8:30 am if you are there for the morning session or 1 pm if you are there for the afternoon session. Make sure to use that waiting time to organize your evidence or go to the restroom.

Small Claims Mediation

Santa Clara County offers free mediation for small claims court cases. Free mediation for small claims is only available some days of the week.

  • What is mediation? Mediation is a meeting between both the plaintiff (the person suing) and the defendant (the person being sued) conducted by a neutral third-party (a mediator). The parties will meet with a mediator, discuss their case, and try to reach a mutually beneficial solution. Both parties must agree to mediation and it cannot be forced on them.

  • When will mediation occur? The court clerk, judge, or sheriff will announce if there are mediators available that day. Usually, the judge will tell the audience that if you opt for mediation, you can try to mediate the case while other hearings are being conducted. If you finish mediation early, then you get to "skip the line" and your case is processed faster.

The Hearing

If both parties show up:

  • Right before the hearing, the judge will ask the parties to show each other the evidence that they have brought with them.

  • The Judge will ask the person who is suing why they are suing.

  • Then the person who is being sued will get to present their side of the story.

  • The hearing will last around 15 minutes.

  • The judge will ask the parties to show the judge the evidence they brought with them. Sometimes the judge will keep the evidence other times you will get the evidence right back.

  • Very rarely will a judge tell the parties their decision immediately after the hearing. Instead, the judge will tell the parties that the decision will be mailed to them (usually takes a few weeks to two months or so).

If only the plaintiff shows up:

  • The plaintiff (the person who is suing) has to still prove their case. The plaintiff will have to tell the judge why they are suing and provide enough evidence.

If only the defendant shows up:

  • The case gets dismissed without prejudice (meaning that the plaintiff can still file the case again later on.)

Are attorneys allowed in small claims court?

  • Attorneys are not allowed to represent parties at the initial hearing. If the defendant appeals the case, then attorneys are allowed to represent the parties at the appeal hearing.

  • You would not be able to hire a lawyer to represent you at the initial small claims court hearing.

Let us help you with your small claims court lawsuit.

People Clerk is here to help you throughout the Santa Clara Small Claims Court Process.

Check out our other articles:

How to File Your California Small Claims Court Case

Quick List of Forms for California Small Claims Court

Nearby Small Claims Courts:

Alameda Small Claims

Contra Costa Small Claims

San Francisco Small Claims

San Mateo Small Claims

Stanislaus Small Claims


We have your back

with California Small Claims Disputes.









Contra Costa

Del Norte

El Dorado










Los Angeles
















San Benito

San Bernardino

San Diego 

San Francisco

San Joaquin 

San Luis Obispo

San Mateo

Santa Barbara

Santa Clara

Santa Cruz















We serve all California Small Claims Courts.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

Courtam, Inc dba People Clerk is not an attorney or a law firm, therefore, People Clerk does not provide legal advice. People Clerk uses technology to reduce the costs of pursuing a small claims dispute. People Clerk can only provide self-help services at your direction. 

People Clerk is not affiliated or endorsed by the California Judicial Branch or any government agency. Blank small claims court forms are available for free on the California Courts website


People Clerk does not sell your information to third parties. 

People Clerk is registered in San Mateo County, California as a bonded legal document assistant (2020-1). We can be reached at (650) 385-8507.

© 2020 by Courtam, Inc.