How to Sue Legacy Partners in Small Claims Court

May 10, 2021
How to Sue Legacy Partners in Small Claims Court
People Clerk helps you with your small claims court lawsuit.

Have a dispute with Legacy over your security deposit, early termination, or rent overcharges? Now what? You have several options, including suing Legacy Partners in Small Claims Court.

In this article, learn about:

  • What to do before suing Legacy Partners in California Small Claims Court.
  • How to write a Demand Letter to Legacy Partners
  • Small claims court limits.
  • How to file a small claims lawsuit against Legacy
  • California Small Claims Costs.  
  • Fun fact, lawyers are not allowed at the initial small claims hearing! This is to even the playing field so that each party has an equal chance of obtaining justice.

Legacy Partners is one of the largest owners of Rental Real Estate in California with thousands of tenants and multiple properties across Northern and Southern California. It manages its properties through a series of LLCs and other business entities. We have created a list of options for what to do when you face a dispute with Legacy Partners.

Speak with the Property Manager

The first thing to do when a problem arises is to reach out to the property manager for your rental unit. They are sometimes referred to as community managers by Legacy Partners They may even be the same person that gave you a tour of the property before you signed a lease. However, the property manager's ability to make decisions will sometimes be limited and you may need to escalate the situation. If your property manager is unhelpful in resolving the matter, then it is time to go a different route.

Send a Demand Letter

What to include in the demand letter?

A demand letter is a letter that outlines a set of requests.

  • For example, you could request a refund and explain why you are requesting a refund.  

If you eventually decide to sue in California small claims court, you are required to first request your money or property back before you can file the lawsuit. While you can request your money or property back orally, it is recommended you do so in writing in the form of a demand letter.

Read More: How to Write a Demand Letter for your Small Claims Court Lawsuit

What to include in the demand letter?

Unsure of what to include in your demand letter to Legacy Partners.

Here are a few suggestions:

Give them a few days to respond (usually about 7 to 14 days).

If your problem with Legacy relates to your security deposit, you can also use the California Court's security deposit demand letter-writing tool to help you write the demand letter.

Where to Send the Demand Letter

Once you have drafted your demand letter to Legacy Partners where should you send it?

You should email or mail a copy of the letter to the leasing office and mail a copy to Legacy's main office.

Legacy Partners

950 Tower Lane

Suite 900

Foster City, CA 94404

Small Claims Court

If Legacy Partners ignored your demand letter, what can you do next? You can sue Legacy in small claims court. But first, some background on small claims court in California to determine if it is right for you.

Types of Cases that Can be Filed in Small Claims

So long as there isn't another court better suited to hear the case, then the lawsuit can be filed in small claims. If your dispute with Legacy Partners is about your security deposit, early termination penalties, or rent overcharges, then a small claims court would be able to handle your dispute.

Read More: How Does Small Claims Court Work?

Small Claims Court Limits

To be able to file a small claims court lawsuit in California, you are capped at the amount you can sue for, also known as "small claims court limits."

How much can you sue for in small claims

If you are owed for more than the amount you can sue for, you can still sue for the maximum amount allowed, but you will need to waive any additional amount over the limit.

What are the California Small Claims Court Filing Fees?

The amount you will pay to file a small claims lawsuit in California depends on how much you are suing for. You will pay between $30 to $75 to file the lawsuit. If cannot afford to pay court fees, you can ask the court to waive the fees.  

How much does it cost to sue in small claims court?

What are other costs for Small Claims Court?

In most small claims cases, you can expect to pay:

If you win, you can request that the losing party pay for your court fees and serving costs.

Read More:

Who to Sue in Small Claims Court

As we previously mentioned, Legacy Partners manages its properties through a series of LLCs and other business entities. ​To know which is the correct entity to sue, you need to pull up a copy of your lease. Usually, on the first page of the lease, you will find the correct entity name under "landlord's name" or "owner's name." When you begin to fill out your small claims court paperwork, you will list this entity as the "defendant."

Starting the Small Claims Court Lawsuit Against Legacy

Step 1: Fill out "Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court" (Form SC-100)

  • Filling out this form starts the California Small Claims Court lawsuit process.
  • It is also known as the "complaint" or "claim."
  • This is the first document you need to file if you are suing someone. You can download it here.
  • The form will ask who is the agent for service of process. Using the entity name you found on your lease for Legacy you can search for the Agent for Service of Process on the California Secretary of State's Website.

Step 2: File "Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court"

  • Each California Small Claims Court has a different procedure for filing.
  • You have to check with your local small claims court whether they allow filing in-person, by mail, online, or by fax.  
We can file your case for you!

Step 3: Serve Legacy Partners

  • Once you file your California small claims court lawsuit, the next step is to notify Legacy that they have been sued. This is called "service of process" (also known as "service").
  • You must serve Legacy Partners at least 15-20 days before the small claims court hearing.  
  • There are several ways you can serve Legacy Partners including by having a friend serve, hiring a process server, hiring the sheriff, or through the court clerk.

How to prepare for a Small Claims Court Hearing?

You have filed your case and notified the person you sued. The next step is to start preparing for your Small Claims Court hearing.

  • Research the law. If you are unsure about you the laws involving your lawsuit (aka why you should win your lawsuit), consult an attorney, or conduct your own research about the law (a quick Google search goes a long way).
  • Prepare your evidence. Invoices, contracts, receipts, etc. You want to have your evidence organized with titles, dates, and why that piece of evidence is important. All your evidence should be geared towards showing the judge why you should win.
  • Prepare what to say. During the hearing, the judge will ask you why you are suing.  If you are being sued, you will be asked why you don't owe the other party money.
  • Get your receipts for costs ready. For example, your filing fees and any process server costs. Make sure to let the judge know that you would like to be reimbursed for these costs.
  • Print enough copies of all your evidence. You will need at least three copies (one for you, one for the judge, one for the other side).

Read More: How is a Small Claims Court Hearing Like?

Legacy Partners cannot have an attorney at the small claims court hearing

  • Attorneys are not allowed to represent you or the person you sued at the initial hearing. If the person you sued appeals (meaning they lost and want the judge to decide again) then attorneys are allowed to represent the parties at the appeal hearing.

People Clerk helps you with your small claims court lawsuit.

Best Investment Ever

5 stars review

These folks really care and know their way around - totally on top of things. I have a PhD and still wouldn't have been able to navigate the system without this help.

- Katrina
Check out the TrustPilot Review

Unbelievably Great Experience

5 stars review

I can't recommend People Clerk enough. Camila & crew helped me file suit for a situation that had plagued me for over a year, one in which I felt very wronged and was sure a judge would agree. But there was no way I had the time to learn how to file in small claims court myself.

- Will
Check out the TrustPilot Review

People Clerk Really Helped Me Out

5 stars review

Let me tell you it was the best decision I made for the situation I was in. People clerk has a simple process from start to finish. Camilla is very friendly and she will communicate and stay in touch from start to finish. I’m very happy that I used people clerk.

- Mario
Check out the TrustPilot Review

Related Articles